I. The Basics
Position: Content Developer & Editor
Number of Positions: 3
Duration: Permanent (at least one year)
Salary: Depends on qualifications of the candidate. Competitive.
II. About Business DNA:
As part of its initiatives in the private sector, Pearl Horizon Consulting (PHC) – www.phc.af – has launched a number of commercial programs. To expand its work in the business world, PHC launched Business DNA in February 2018.
Business DNA is Afghanistan’s grand business magazine, bringing you entrepreneurial stories, business intelligence, economic research and analysis, investment opportunities, and management best practices in print and digital editions from the heart of Afghanistan in Kabul. Business DNA is your ultimate go-to source for data, information, and advice on doing business in the country. With a fan base of hundreds of thousands of local and global readers, Business DNA is setting the narrative on business and economics in Afghanistan.
III. Scope of Work:
The incumbent will closely work with the Managing Editor and Editors’ Board of Business DNA, guided by the Chief Editor and supported by the research team. The incumbent will primarily work to:
- Develop original content such as articles, interviews, and researches that meet the quality standards of Business DNA.
- Connect and coordinate with contributors of Business DNA to initiate, review, and finalize the content development process, constantly finalizing fresh content for each issue of the magazine.
- Help design and carry out research initiatives about various business topics in collaboration with the Chief Editor of Business DNA. The process requires strong research capabilities combined with excellent analytical skills to analyze and process collected data.
- Review, revise, and finalize written articles, Op-Eds, research reports, interviews, and advertisement content based on international writing standards to produce engaging, professional, and fun-to-read content for the magazine’s print, digital, and web platforms.
- Work with a professional graphic designer to help convert written pieces into visual content that appeals to 21st-century readers.
- Search for interesting business- and economic-focused as well as culture, life, and society-focused stories in Afghanistan and include in content outlines.
- Write articles, tips, and other content that are related to business and management as part of the educational aspects of the magazine.
- Conduct interviews with successful entrepreneurs of Afghanistan, as well as other influential people, through a professional process of doing research, setting an appointment, developing a questionnaire, conducting the interview, transcribing the interview, and developing the story.
- Contributing to Business DNA’s web and digital presence through publishing content online through the newly developed CMS (Content Management System) on www.businessdna.af.
- Develop short snippets from the 80-page content of Business DNA for social media channels of the magazine to help promote the web, digital, and print versions of Business DNA.
- Help manage Business DNA’s social media pages through scheduling posts, responding to important inquiries, and assessing promotional data to help ensure social media channel readers to Business DNA’s online and digital channels.
- Engage with key partners of Business DNA, strengthen relationships, and develop opportunities for collaboration with high-caliber institutions in Afghanistan and abroad.
- Help further develop Business DNA as the premier source of business intelligence in the country through working with the Editors’ Board and Chief Editor of Business DNA.
- Any other assignments deemed necessary for the role to support the work of Business DNA and PHC.
- Qualification Requirements:
An applicant with the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in business or economics
- Preferably an MBA degree
- Strong English writing, reading, and speaking skills
- Good Dari writing, reading, and speaking skills
- Preferably having good Pashto writing, reading, and speaking skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Preferably 1-2 years of experience in a related field
To apply, email your CV & a sample of your writing to info[@]businessdna.af with the subject “Editor 2020”. The writing sample can be a thesis, a published article, a report, or any other writing of your own (in the English language as well as in Dari where available) that shows your writing skills. The recruitment is a continuous process, but Business DNA team will close the announcement once a qualified candidate is identified. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as they can.
Business DNA encourages equal opportunities for men and women. Recruitment is purely merit-based. Candidates interested in a long-term career in the business world and journalism are encouraged to apply.